Monday, February 1, 2010

Wonder Woman #40

On January 27th (my birthday!!!), the newest issue of the ongoing Wonder Woman comic came out.  It's written by the lovely and talented Gail Simone and drawn by the amazing Aaron Lopresti. It's the start of a two issue arc.

The past few issues have set up the story that Ares, the god of war, impregnated 5 amazons. They gave birth to 5 male children known as "the Crows".  These children have the power to influence people to do bad things and make it seem as if it was that persons own idea.  So right off the bat, this issue has Diana fighting a serpent God.
I love it when our favorite Amazon has stories that dabble in her Greek mythology.  It's not often enough we actually get a taste of the Wonder world! So, when a writer does use this mythology, you have to just sit down and just enjoy the ride!  Gail Simone is one of the writers that understands that the Greek Gods are a huge part of Diana's past, present and future.

I am very proud of the portrayal of Diana is this issue. She is not afraid to use her intelligence and strength together.  She knows exactly what needs to be done. Her mission is to be a Warrior and a protector. This is something that our Amazon does very well.
 
After her victory in the fight against the God Serpent, she is thanked by a mother and her two children. Enter the Crows. They start to use their power and warp the mind of the mother and make it seem instead of Wonder Woman saving them, she actually put them into harms way.  I am very interested in where these characters are going and what Ares endgame is.  The Crows are seen in the issue messing with all sorts of people. They tap into people fears and they pit people against each other; whites against blacks, Jews against Christians, even male against female.
 
Diana hears about the trouble going on and goes to see if she can help. Enter Power Girl!  She came upon the scene first and found the Crows waiting for her.  I am not sure what the conversation was with Power Girl and the Crows, but it made the Krypton take a strong punch at our Amazon.  I love that these two are finally going at it, face to face. It's no secret that Wonder Woman is so much stronger than Power Girl. Poor Karen!

Though after a good punch from Power Girl, Wonder Woman finds herself plummeting into a parking garage and into the ground. This spawns some absolutely fantastic dialog from Diana! "I see fine. You're strong, Karen. And Fast. But I'm something else entirely. Power Girl. I am WONDER WOMAN. And you've managed to make me slightly Peeved."

 
This image is a perfect example of why I LOVE WW!  Her pose of strength combined with the look on her face that shows that she is ready to kick some Power Girl ass all over town! It's drawing like this that just makes me so So SO happy to be a Wonder Woman fan!!!

Next: the Throwdown between PG and WW!  I can't wait!!!

1 comment:

  1. So I've never been into comics much, but that illustration of Wonder Woman may be enough to make me start! So badass! And I hope that I look kave that awesome when I'm "peeved".

    ReplyDelete